Macaroni Cheese Recipe
Yes! Macaroni cheese tonight. Sam, my son is taking two accounting A Levels today; I am so glad my exam days are over. As a treat he’s got home made macaroni cheese tonight – a definite favourite in this house and I dread to think how many calories this one contains so we will just forget that little bit. What you don’t know doesn’t hurt you. I read that on the internet somewhere so it must be true.
2 x unsmoked gammon steaks diced
2 tbsp butter
350g macaroni dry pasta
1 x garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp English mustard powder
3 tbsp plain flour
500ml whole milk
250g mature cheddar cheese, grated
50g parmesan (I use more)
3 slices white bread blitzed into crumbs
Frozen petit pois (as many as you like)
- Blitz the bread in a food processor to make breadcrumbs for the topping.
- Boil the pasta for 2 mins less than stated on the pack.
- Cook the diced gammon in olive oil and put to one side.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan.
- Add the garlic and mustard, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute then gradually whisk in the milk until you have a lump-free sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Take off the heat and then stir in all the cheddar.
- Stir the pasta and some seasoning into the cheesy sauce, then tip into a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the gammon and the petit pois into the oven dish and mix together.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.
- Sprinkle parmesan over the breadcrumbs.
- I tend to make it earlier in the day and cook at night time. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
We tend to mop up the sauce on our plates with chunks of gorgeous fresh French stick.