Benefits of Bullet Proof Coffee
Now I have been reading about MCT oil as you know (check out Fridays post) and also the trend that seems to be getting really popular and that is Bullet Proof Coffee.
When you mix high-quality coffee beans with the right fats, you get an amazing drink that stomps on hunger and cravings, banishes brain fog, and helps you lose weight, build muscle, and increase focus and performance. That is the theory anyway.
The following information and other information is found on the Bulletproof website
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe – Official
- 2 ½ heaping tablespoons ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
- 1 teaspoon – 2 tablespoons Brain Octane Oil or MCT 8 oil
- 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee.
- Make your coffee. Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with 2 ½ heaping tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans. Use a French Press for ease of use and to preserve beneficial coffee oils that paper filters keep out.
- Brain Octane Oil. Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane Oil (start slow with this stuff – it’s powerful!)
- Grass-fed butter or ghee. Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee. Make sure your butter is unsalted. Salty coffee is gross.
- Blend. Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte. There will be a good amount of foam on top.
There are certain additions to Bulletproof Coffee that will rob it of its energy-boosting powers. Things like honey and maple syrup will mess with your blood sugar and cause those energy dips that have you reaching for a midday cookie.
Coconut oil doesn’t work because it does not contain enough of the type of MCT oil that raises ketone levels, so you get a lot of calories but not a lot of fat burning energy. Plus who wants a coffee that tastes like a pina colada?
Just starting out with Bulletproof Coffee? Read this first!
- Not all coffee is created equal. The wrong coffee will sap your energy, trigger cravings, and leave you feeling tired and irritable. Lab-tested, mold-free coffee, on the other hand, will give you clean energy without the caffeine crash.
- Only use grass-fed butter. Non-grass-fed butter has a different fat composition that doesn’t blend as well or taste as good as grass-fed butter. Grass-fed butter is also higher in essential nutrients that your body and brain crave.
- Don’t forget your Brain Octane Oil. Brain Octane increases energy and brain function. If that’s not enough, it helps your body create energy from fat instead of sugar, turning you into a fat-burning machine.
- You might want to go slow. If you’ve been on a low-fat or vegetarian diet for a while, increase your healthy fat consumption slowly. It might take your body a couple weeks to adjust. Don’t you dare use a low-fat butter substitute. Bleah.
- Digestive support may be necessary. Taking a betaine HCL or a digestive enzyme supplement will help your body digest the fat as you ramp up to digesting real food. This goes double for vegans or people who have been starving on low-fat or low-calorie diets.
- Put down that sugar! If you must use a sweetener, use xylitol, erythritol, or stevia.
The story the behind Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
Dave Asprey, CEO and founder of Bulletproof, got the idea for Bulletproof Coffee after a trek in Tibet in 2004. At 18,000 above sea level and -10°F, his energy was plummeting – until he staggered into a guest house and a local handed him a creamy cup of yak butter tea.
The butter-infused drink is a necessity for the people in Tibet, who live and work in such rugged, high altitude terrain. The drink instantly rejuvenated Dave. It was like a flip was switched on in his brain and body.
The biohacker in him wondered why the tea made him feel so good, and he embarked on years of research into why it switched on the lights of focus and energy so quickly. Eventually, Dave substituted tea for mold-free coffee, and yak butter for grass-fed cow’s butter (a tad easier to find than yak butter at your local grocery store). Brain Octane Oil was the final missing piece. Together, those three ingredients gave Dave the abundant energy and effortless mental clarity he felt in that hut in Tibet.
To learn more about the science behind Bulletproof Coffee, check out this post.
Now that you know how to make the best cup of coffee on earth, it’s time to get started with the right ingredients.
I have ordered my coffee beans, my MCT oil and grass fed friendly butter and will be making myself one of these delicious looking and interesting sounding coffees Monday morning. For breakfast I will be having this instead of my usual shake and will see what happens and report back to you. I shall follow the above bulletproof coffee recipe and I really can’t wait – intrigued to say the least.