Let’s Show Some Compassion
Here we go; 10 ways you can do something nice for others is something I think we should all do; we are certainly capable of it and some more than others. Have a think to yourself right now and try and remember the last nice thing you did for someone? How easy was it for you to remember? Let’s go one step further, can you remember the last act of kindness from someone towards yourself? Yes or No? Let’s move ahead again when was the last time you were kind to yourself? People are so caught up in their own little bubble and own self-importance sometimes. I know life if is stressful but it’s stressful for others too. We do not know what goes on behind someone’s smile so let us try and make a positive difference.
- Smile at Someone – I’ve touched on this before. When you are walking down the street put your phone away and look around you. Take in what is happening you might notice something you hadn’t noticed before. Try and make eye contact with someone while walking and just smile. That’s all; just one little smile.. how difficult is that? It could change someones day in more ways that you could even start to imagine.
- Give Someone a Hug – I can’t speak for everyone else here but I am extremely tactile and hugs are important to me. I’m guessing that they are to some of you too. There are obviously different levels of hugs but you know sometimes they speak more than any words can do. You don’t have to walk up to a stranger. Just stop and hug those people that are important to you today. Give your children an extra one, your partner, your mum, your dad and even your friend.
- Say I’m Sorry – Have a think. Do you apologise when you make a mistake, hurt someone whether intentionally or unintentionally. Have your actions ever upset someone? Learn to apologise, learn to say sorry and don’t have any expectations in return. It has to come from the heart. It is always more important to give than to receive. As they saying goes. “what goes around comes around”.
- Don’t Interrupt – Hand’s up I am guilty of this. When I am having a great conversation with someone I get caught up and words just come tumbling out and I need to stop it. It is rude. I don’t do it intentionally but I am becoming more aware of it and am better than I used to be. It is so important not to interrupt someone when they are speaking. I think we have all been guilty of this at some time. But how bad is it? it gives out a signal that you aren’t interested in what they have to say, that they are unimportant when in truth it is probably the opposite. So just try and bite your tongue in the future. I know I will be doing. I just get too excited – I don’t get out much lol.
- Use Your Manners – How difficult is it to say please and thank you? My sisters and I were brought up with manners. We always said please and thank you and still do. It is just so rude to not use them. Just one little word guys, doesn’t take much effort really does it? You are more likely to get a positive response too if you do. You never know you might get a smile too – a double whammy!
- Donate Items – Go through your house one room at a time and have a clear out. If you have something you don’t use, don’t wear, don’t need then donate it to a charity shop. There are so many people out there that depend on these shops. If I think about it I think I have bought 80% of my current clothes from my local charity shop. All good quality; some even with labels still in. One man’s rubbish is another’s treasure. Why not donate magazines to doctors surgeries etc rather than throw them out.
- Thank You Notes – Next time you receive a gift, or some help with something write them a thank you note or card. Even better give them some flowers or sweets with it; they don’t have to be a big bunch. Buy a handful of beautiful cards and use them.
- Pay Someone A Compliment – again this could seriously make someone’s day. You don’t have to go overboard, just telling someone how nice they look today, or I love your shoes where did you get them, I love your new hairstyle, everyone needs an ego boost sometimes. I know I do, my self-esteem is a work in progress.
- Bake Someone A Cake – go on your friends would love it.. hint.. hint.. I always know when I’m in love because I start making cakes and biscuits I just want to express it and feed everyone a slice of love. When you make something like that you are pouring your love into it. You enjoy doing it and you enjoy a sense of achievement when you see the end result so to share that with someone you care about is wonderful.
- Be Kind – literally just be kind in whatever way you can whenever you can. Taking the time to do something nice for someone you don’t know will make that person feel appreciated and will spread that good karma. Put someone else first let them have the last doughnut etc.. be thoughtful.. be encouraging.. volunteer.. listen.. help.. share… laugh.. be understanding.. show empathy and compassion.
So go on give it a try.. you probably already do a lot of these things but just try and add one more to your list.. it could make a huge difference. This is my list of 10 ways you can do something nice for others, please add any more that you can think of in the comment box below.
All my love